Tuesday, December 17, 2019

For The Love Of Dance - Images from school performances at the ATALANTE Theatre

Documenting school events by photo and film was one of my favorite activities as a teacher. I loved to work with students beside me in a joint task-force, but I also found myself alone on the job. When it comes to covering Dance, I had to learn some lessons. Dance teachers are dedicated professionals and did not always approve of my pictures, when they e.g. showed obvious dancer's mistakes, weaknesses, flaws in posture, position, dress and the like. They were so right, they saw the risk of these images in a marketing function could create an impression of a rather mediocre type education. My layman feel-good values did not always match professional demands...
Don't know how far I got in my learning. It is doubtful that the dance teachers would welcome my mixture of images from several performances. But with a distance of several years from the school-promotion aspect, I shall with all respect return to my surviving values. There is a meta-aspect to these images, clearly showing skill, dedication, seriousness, assertion, the will to express. That is a lot. To me always more fascinating than an achieved mastery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment