Wednesday, April 3, 2019

In Search Of The Point -- (Images from the coastal area in South Gothenburg, Sweden)

Images from one of my favorite Gothenburg nature areas, by now almost familiar territory. But only almost. On my excursions I sometimes caught sight of an elevated spot at the end of a promontory. Merely twice I saw some people up there, seemingly absorbed by what must have been a superb panorama of the archipelago facing them. This particular spot I started to call "The Point". My attempts to reach it though were spoiled repeatedly by the terrain. Sometimes it was a wall of solid rock I could not overcome. A nasty bog sent me once on a hasty retreat. At some places the tick-infested undergrowth was virtually impenetrable. But mostly I was stopped by sudden chasms that revealed themselves first on close approach. Now, this is not to claim that the terrain in question poses a serious challenge for committed and prepared outdoor enthusiasts. But for a picture-taking stroller, seeking gentle enjoyment and peace of mind, the topography did have surprises up its sleeve. Too steep from three sides for casual walking, The Point's gentler fourth slope was the remaining option. Even here swamps and dense vegetation posed challenges. But eventually it only took some determined scouting to establish a functioning course. Once figured out, it was not even difficult to reach the goal. The view was a great reward. And The Point itself: A great place to be, no beer bottles, cans, cigarette butts, barbecue leftovers. No graffiti. The slight difficulty to reach The Point seems to prevent outdoor parties here. It was just to breathe deep, taking it all in, all by myself, the silence and the beauty. It felt like a vestige of bygone days, encouraging fantasies. I felt released from the narrow confines of the present. Ages and periods resonated, thoughts spiralled freely to Vikings, Bronce and Stone Age folks - all thriving here once upon a time, after a massive ice sheet had finished grinding and polishing this rocky shore.


No comments:

Post a Comment